Friday, July 2, 2010

What Does Diabetes Do?

Did you know that high levels of blood sugar can damage your retina, kidneys and attribute to poor wound healing?

Tis true.

I love carbs and all things sweet, but how I feel afterwards makes me question everytime why I ate it in the first place.

This video really breaks down the pathophysiology of diabetes in a detailed yet easy to understand way.

There are 3 main types of Diabetes.

Type 1 (explained more in detail in the video) but this usually occurs at a younger age and they will be insulin dependent for the rest of their lives. also termed "juvenille diabetes".

Type 2- insulin resistant. adult onset. this occurs later in life due to poor eating habits (high levels of concentrated sweets) and obesity.

Gestational Diabetes- Diabetes that occus during pregnancy. This can either diminish after the mother gives birth or it remains. Usually attributed to poor eating habits during pregnany.

oh ya, and one more.

Diabetes Mellitus- Someone with a primary disease such as pancreatic cancer then developes diabetes because of complications.

Eat well, exercise and take care of yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment