Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thirty and Things

Oh my gosh, Arnold Oatnut bread is amazing. So is being thirty.
Buy one get ones at Publix excite me. This is what thirty feels like.
It's the simple things that stir me up. It's the simple things that make me want more things simple. Simple so I can stretch and breathe into myself, into my life, into my surroundings.

I just finished a really awesome book by Sarah Sentilles, "Breaking Up with God." I remember looking at the title and feeling a tinge of rebellion surge through my body... a curiosity coupled with questions of whether or not this could be dangerous. I had already developed empathy by just looking at the cover, an excerpt of my own. "Oh yes, this will be dangerous, encouraging, similar and liberating!" Indeed it was. Minus the dangerous part. I only included that word because I know, in fact I am sure other people of faith might be worried, might be concerned. Why do I do that?

So I am deconstructing and reconstructing an imaginative construction.
I think I've been doing that for quite some time now. Years in fact. But there is something about feeling the freedom and knowing the peace to believe in your imaginative creativity. To believe and know that it is worthy and valid and yours. Although someone may tell you otherwise and caution you of the dangers of relativism, it's ok. At least I think it's ok because I still have me and my imagination. I can always go back to my painting. The painting of my experience which has formed my imaginative construction called faith.

It's simple to me. It's not scary. It's exciting. You know why? Cause I get to read more awesome books and learn more awesome things.
Next on my list:

The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd.

No comments:

Post a Comment