Sunday, June 20, 2010

What makes something worthy of praise?

Serenity. Generosity. Kindness. Others.

These words were brought to my attention today by a lady who i'd like to call my moma.

We talk a lot about all things spritual and everything else under the sun.. And we seem to do this all while in the Greenwise section at publix. haha.

I especially like to question things that she says.. not in a rude "you're wrong" kinda way, but more so to really understand why she thinks the way she does. Where is she coming from? What stirs up within her? What is the driving force behind her passionate beliefs?
It's not because I want to be spiteful, on the contrary, because I care and I am genuinely curious.

The mystery of others fascinates me.

The conversation started with an overview of a stressful week she had just experienced. My mom is a business owner, a wife, a child and caretaker of ill parents in a nursing home, and not to mention a grandmother herself. So there is always something happening in her world. There is never a dull moment. She almost thrives in it.
If the AC doesn't go out at the studio then it's the plumbing.. and then its the car breaking down... and then it's my sister's baby with a 104 fever.. a call from the nursing home telling her my grandmother fell and she needs stiches asap.

Ah. breathe. I can't keep up with my mother's life. haha.

So anyways.. she is a woman with a faith in God. So of course this was the perfect segue into the next obvious turn in our conversation..

This week the car was fixed because a man we know who happens to be a mechanic decided to repair whatever it was that needed repairing. My mom was ready to hand over the benjamins when he said... "no, really, it's ok. i felt led to do this free of charge."
whoa.

I was totally moved by his act of gracious generosity. I mean.. that was really really nice of him to do.

To be compelled to do something nice...

So i asked my mom, (within the context of what we were talking about). What happens when God doesn't "show up" ? If you were to think of it that way. So in this case, this man charging what would be expected when doing a job. Naturally.

Maybe the story would have been told a little differently or maybe not even told at all.

What makes something worthy of praise?

Then i thought of these simple truths..

Serenity; someone who provides a deep breath and a calm spirit during a tumultuous time.
Generosity; a man who decides to fix a car for free.
Kindness; the kindness that catapults generosity.

Others.

This seems way to simple. But it's a spiritual enlightenment for me. What do I learn from other people? What can I give other people? Why do I love them?

1 comment: